<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 21, 2004

|
THE BOATING PARTY

The boat ride was very nice. It was a little damp and I saw a few people popping Dramamine, but for me a pleasant evening. Needless to say, the basic intent is to impart a spirit of Hawaii to the tourists. which is accomplished with food, drink, music and a perspective of the scenery that one does not get even from an ocean view hotel room.

Having subsisted on Hawaiian Punch during one hot Chicago summer of my youth, I have no trouble swilling fruity cocktails but Tom stayed with his Manhattans - never mix, never worry. And while I'm sure there were some among the crowd who considered the dining less than 5-star, for my simple unsophisticated palate, the surf-and-turf was delicious. Even the Pineapple Mousse - though expectably a tad tart - was a treat.

To me it is a flaw - though not a fatal flaw - that many men do not like to dance. Tom preferred watching those who jumped, jived and wailed. And I must admit, there were some darn good ones who were fun to tap our feet to.

It was too noisy to converse at this point and for some reason, my mind went back to Lit 101, and Thoreau's “I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.” At times I would agree heartily with the sentiment, but last night, at least, Thoreau was wrong. Nothing is likely to come of it, but for this one evening being a couple was a lot more companionable - and nicer - than solitude. Despite a lack of common interests, Tom’s sense of humor was fun. And at evening's end, he said he would e-mail me. Yes - I'm familiar with "I'll call you."

Was back at my apartment by 11, for me an early hour, and I got further into "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons." No bon-bons in my freezer but pints of Haagen-Daz Rocky Road and Macadamia Brittle were worthy alternative choices.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?