<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 10, 2004

|
CHERRY SODA, RAINBOW SPRINKLES, ROTISSERIE CHICKEN

I’m aware that few people read this journal, and that Caren Lissner is likely among the throngs who don’t, but I liked her novel Carrie Pilby very much, and would like to do it justice by writing a review worth reading.

The protagonist is a 19-year-old prodigy who is a Harvard graduate and views herself as a social misfit. She sees a therapist once a week, and he suggests a list of goals to help advance her socialization, including going on a date and joining an organization of some kind.

The story is filled with subtle humor and insights into human interaction. Carrie feels very different from the people around her, but her observations of those she encounters show that she is not nearly as different from the rest of us as she thinks she is.

Her philosophy major seems like irony to me. Based upon the one philosophy course I took in college, it is difficult for me to imagine ANY 19-year-old having a good basis for philosophical argument. Part of the reason comes down to a difference between intelligence and wisdom. I felt capable of understanding the concepts, but out of my depth in terms of life experience. That will likely bring argument from some quarters, but that’s okay. As I said, it was just the one introductory course. What do I know? I’m not a genius.

The theme of finding one’s place in society is universal, but Carrie’s view of the world is as fresh and unique as that of Holden Caulfield in Catcher in the Rye. I don’t mean to suggest strong parallels between the two, but simply that both are distinctive, humorous and well presented. I look forward to reading Ms. Lissner’s next book.

I also want to acknowledge Amanda’s recommendations and comments. I’m in agreement that this book will become a permanent part of my library. Amanda is the number one referrer to my blog, and I do appreciate it. Her blog is one of my favorites.

And while I’m at it, a nod and thank you to Valerie. New socks are a good thing even here, where I go without more often than not.

One more plug: Scooter Deb (Cheaper Than Therapy) is another blog I read and enjoy regularly.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?