<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 30, 2004

|
EYES OF THE BEHOLDEN

Caren Lissner’s blog today about dating was interesting to me. My vast experience in the World of Dating would lead me to agree with the idea that it’s difficult to pick someone based on a list of interests or attributes. That might also explain why a friend’s efforts to “fix you up” with someone are so rarely successful. They usually say something like, “You have a lot in common.” Common interests might give you a topic of conversation, but they certainly don’t create sparks between two people.

I fall into the latter camp in Caren’s description, although I try to keep myself open to possibilities. There were a few dates in college, but my social life was mostly with groups of friends which included both genders. And I gained the wisdom to look beyond first glance. In my freshman year, first day of Biology 101, I was involuntarily paired with a lab partner with unkempt hair and Coke bottle-thick glasses who could have been the Poster Boy for Geeks. But darned if he didn't turn out to be funny, charming, and personable. We never got as close as Carrie and Cy and I'm sure we never will. Yet he remains a friend today - even 4,000 miles away at Indiana University Med School. Whatever giddy teenage preconceptions I had of Mr. Right, they were dispelled forever by one of the best lessons I learned in college.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?