<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 04, 2004

|
Gateway

I started reading Carrie Pilby yesterday, the novel by Caren Lissner that I heard about through the blog network. Got so engrossed I was nearly late for work. I will reserve comment until I've finished it. However, I promise not to call it a "cute little novel" as did the reviewer at Curled Up With A Good Book. She recommended the book, so maybe Caren wasn't offended, but it seemed condescending to me.

In my blog-hopping this morning, I discovered Of Moops & Men, and particularly liked this statement: “Ah, nothing says hometown pride like whining about how much the place sucks.” Laughed right out loud.

He went on to say: “New York presents itself with the vacuous slogan Gateway to Freedom on state quarters, and it sounds like something dreamed up by a soulless ad executive from Connecticut. A real New Yorker brags about how rude everyone is.” Do you suppose it should be Gateway to France instead?

To be fair, I should admit that I haven’t been to France, but my cousin, Michael, says the rumors of rudeness are understated. And remember Steve Landesberg’s standup routine? (“Did you ever feel like slapping a whole country?”)


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?