<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 01, 2004

|
LONG NIGHT'S JOURNEY INTO DAY

What a nice evening. The "big" New Year's Eve celebrations in my life have been rowdy, beer-guzzling events, but this was fun and festive and celebratory without the crescendo of noise that makes you half-deaf. I would not have guessed how much I would enjoy the music. The trio seemed more likely to appeal to my parents, but they were so good! They played a variety of songs that crossed generations and genres just as the diners and bar patrons did. The bass player served as emcee for the count-down and did it with a verve that made everyone join together in welcoming 2004.

After that, as planned, I went with Brian, Kim, Artie, Colleen and Theresa to a 24-7 diner. This is a nice group and while there are always brief moments of socializing among co-workers, it was a treat to sit down together around a large crescent-shaped booth and relax. More on each of the gang in future blogs but to categorize simply, Brian, Colleen and Artie are long-time employees of the hotel while Theresa, Kim, and I are probably more transitory.

Breakfast was excellent! If you haven’t had fresh pineapple in Hawaii, then you haven’t really had pineapple. It’s a whole different fruit from what you get at a grocery store in the midwest, which was probably picked long before it was ripe. I could live on pineapple and macadamia nuts here.

The Hawaiians love poi – an acquired taste that eludes me, and they offer rice as a side dish even for breakfast. The diner offered an amazing selection of omelettes, including something I’ve never seen on a menu before: Spam. (And who'd have thought something like spam could come along to give Spam a bad name?) The banana pancakes were yummy. I guess I don’t need to describe every bite I took, but we all had loads of fun, while we ate until we could barely move.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?