<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 08, 2004

|
STREET WALKING

Decided I should not spend the day off doing nothing so I made my way to the Honolulu Academy of Arts Museum. It has a theatre which shows indie and old films. Fellini's "I Vitelloni" was playing at one so I took it in. Made 50 years ago, it is understandably dated but that's part of the charm. It is sort of a coming of age - an advanced age - of five young, rather shiftless men in a small Italian town. It was one of the first Fellini movies and it won enough acclaim to allow him to go on to bigger movies - "La Strada," " La Dolce Vita," "8 1/2" "Juliet of the Spirits," and "Amarcord." No one needs escapism from Hawaii but I must say it was a nice change of pace and place for an afternoon and I'll explore the Academy and its offerings again.

On the way home, I stopped at a Thai restaurant. I don't know why but a woman dining alone at an Asian restaurant does not seem as strange as she does in a typical American restaurant. The food was very good. I had Som Tum (papaya salad) and Goong Gah Tiem (garlic shrimp).

Ongoing observation: a great number of stretch limos in Honolulu. There must be a breeding ground for them here.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?