<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 27, 2004

|
FIELDS OF DREAMS

Amanda’s entry of a few days ago about her renewed contact with Munchausen Michelle struck a chord with me on two levels. I will confess that I’m not always great at keeping up correspondence, but hypocrite that I am, I still feel slighted when someone fails to keep in touch with me. Amanda’s experience prompted me to make an effort to contact some old friends.

The thoughts of Amanda’s cat were very funny, and made me think of Hamlet’s Cat’s Soliloquy.

During dinner breaks I often peruse whatever literature happens to be in the employees' lounge and came across an article in Sports Illustrated about how W.P. Kinsella wrote a novel called "Shoeless Joe," which would become better known in a different medium as "Field of Dreams." It all started as a short story, incorporating elements of what Kinsella knew about the (wrongly) infamous baseball player Shoeless Joe Jackson, the reclusive J.D. Salinger "who made himself conspicuous by hiding" and a couple of other characters. The short story was published in an anthology where it was read by a Houghton Mifflin editor who suggested making it into a novel. Interestingly, I thought, Kinsella loved the movie version while stating "most writers are unhappy with film adaptations of their work and rightly so." While he had no input toward the screen version, Kinsella felt the spirit of his book remained and realized added visuals and deleted words were necessary to transform a 300-page novel into an hour-and-46-minute movie.




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?