<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

|
FOLLOW EVERY RAINBOW

A number of bloggers have recently commented on the building gay rights controversy and I won't attempt to repeat their opinions or even cite who has spoken lest I leave anyone out. Until a few years ago, my own provincial, naive view was not to think about "queers." This changed in a rather benign, circumspect way when my Mom - as previously noted, a musicals aficionado - had on a PBS show about Oscar Hammerstein. Naturally, it was a retrospective of songs he had written, performed by a number of artists. The finale was "Climb Every Mountain," sung by the New York Gay Men's Chorus. Yes, some were tall and some were short, and some were handsome and others were not. But "queer"? Unworthy of the same rights as heterosexuals? Whatever I thought or hadn't thought about gays, my view changed that night.

I won't point a finger but I find it strange that one of the major political parties which preaches less government cries out for laws and courts and constitutional amendments when there is an issue at odds with the societal or religious upbringing of its members. Claiming to protect this country's freedoms at the same time they are trying to invade our bedrooms and doctors' offices. Heaven help us if they think we have weapons of mass destruction.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?