<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

|
La Belle Auteur

While I doubt if she suits the taste of most of us, Belle de Jour is a blogging favorite of my brother. With a comment that I have missed the mark and the market, he sends along this: "The blogs-to-books frenzy continues. Belle of the ball blogger Belle de Jour has, apparently, landed a book deal--a 'good deal' even. A little cursory research reveals that 'good deal' is Publisher's Marketplace parlance for a contract in the $101,000 - $250,000 price range. There's even talk of movie rights."

I find it interesting how many of the bloggers I read and enjoy have a novel in progress. This is hardly surprising as blogging is a wonderful outlet for writers, yet I wonder if it is at all beneficial to authorship as it does not require the discipline or continuity which goes into a coherent 300-page book. And unlike the blog, witing a novel is necessarily a solitary activity.

I was always intrigued with the phrase "The Great American Novel." I suppose it is intended as a mythic ideal rather than a realized novel but if you had to select a book, would you?

I can pass along some advice: "A good many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope, big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation to the editor." Ring Lardner.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?