<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 29, 2004

|
SAMURAI BLOGGER

The coffee shop is always busy on Sunday morning with young folks malingering from boozing the night before but Beryl had a seat for me. I know it's more attributable to the fact that she lives alone than to my worldly effervescence but she always seems glad to see me. At her suggestion, we decided to go over to the Academy of Arts to see what movie was playing. Turned out to be a kung fu classic, "Master of the Flying Guillotine," reportedly one of Quentin Tarantino's favorites and evidently a major influence on "Kill Bill." For whatever reason, it was not the type of movie that fit our mood-of-the-moment.

There are lots of permanent exhibitions at the museum but Beryl suggested we take in the current traveling show, a collection of Japanese paintings, which covered a sampling from 1100 to 1900. Though not something I'd have sought out, I must admit that I found myself in awe at the talent. And Beryl filled me in on a lot of Japanese history along the way. She is wonderfully down-to-earth but if I live to be 200, I doubt if I'll approach her in sophistication.

While I was looking for new quotes, I ran across this:

“There are people who reshape the world by force or argument, but the cat just lies there, dozing; and the world quietly reshapes itself to suit his comfort and convenience.” -- Allen and Ivy Dodd

It made me think of my cat Cinder and Wendy’s cat Frodo. The only time I ever got mad at Cinder was the time she knocked my Faberge eggs off the shelf and broke them. Easy come, easy go.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?