<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 04, 2004

|
RACING WITH THE MOON


A couple of days ago, co-worker Colleen and I were talking about the Academy Awards and last night she loaned me a video of "Racing with the Moon," a 1984 movie with Sean Penn and Nicolas (there really is no h in it) Cage. They had also been in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" a couple of years earlier. Penn was the star in both though as the future would show, Cage would become very much a star in his own right and win a Best Actor Oscar ("Leaving Las Vegas") 8 years sooner than Penn.

It's not a great film and I wouldn't suggest anyone spend his/her time or money when there are many more worthy diversions. And if Colleen hadn't imposed it on me, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to find it. But it was interesting to see Penn and Cage 20 years younger and as a slice-of-life drama, it is entertaining, set in a small town as the story of two soon-to-be Marines, living it up for 4 weeks prior to heading off to World War II.

And watching the news of our soldiers in Iraq, I realize it a story that is not so long ago and not so far away.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?