<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 21, 2004

|
WAY TO A MAN'S HEART

Though it is a work day - or more accurately, work night - I treat Sunday mornings like other non-churchgoing people by nursing a couple of cups of coffee and nibbling on a danish (a pineapple danish, here, of course) while scanning a newspaper.

I found Beryl at her usual table at the coffee shop and she always seems genuinely happy to have me join her. Despite having such wide-ranging interest that she's probably never bored, I guess occasional human interaction is nice.

After telling her about my date with K, I asked if she had any suggestions for encouraging the relationship without coming across so strong as to drive him away. She said to make him a good home-cooked meal. This had occurred to me but I had kept it subdued as I am not much of a chef. I attribute this flaw mainly to the fact that when it comes to food, I was always very easy to please. Reading a book or taking a long walk was more rewarding to me than spending an hour preparing a culinary treat when a California burger satisfied me just fine. K noted on our first date that he cooks (microwaves, he admitted) only the simplest meals for himself yet I could see how much he enjoyed the two restaurant meals we've had together and had to admit Beryl's idea was good.

I figure even if it took one or two practice attempts for myself, with time and effort, I could make a decent meal. That idea is in place. The problem is, what to cook? His academic concentration has him very much interested in Asian culture. Should I try to cater to that? Go with a tried-and-true meat and potatoes feast? Or maybe something Italian or Spanish? Suggestions solicited.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?