<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 08, 2004

|
WEIGHTS AND MEASURES

A reader has asked me about meeting K and what common interests led to our date. It has me thinking about attraction and how it works. I had gone to browse the book store as Square 2 still hadn't arrived from my bother (media mail to HI must travel by freighter). While this stranger (now K) and I were standing close together, looking at books on the sale table, I noticed that he kept picking up a particular book and looking at it and then putting it back down, so I said, “Take a chance. It’s only $5.”

I don’t think he had been aware of me before that, but he grinned and said, “You think it’s worth skipping a meal for?” I hadn’t noticed what the book was, except it was big and looked like a coffee table picture book, so I said, “Looks like it would come to about a dollar a pound. Skip lunch.”

He laughed then and asked if I always shop for books by the pound. You know, I’m not sure I could tell you what we talked about all afternoon, just that the time went by too fast. K is a graduate student at the University of Hawaii, studying art history.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?