<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 22, 2004

|
FUGO

K and I have been exchanging e-mails regularly though all pretty much mundane. He seems to like me as a good listener to his analyses of how little events in history are the seeds of big events. He also says he wants to take me out for Japanese food. I allowed that I've been told sushi is an acquired taste and am willing to experience it but his interest is a little more exotic: he wants me to try fugu - which is also known as blowfish, globefish, puffer, and swellfish. I was aware that this fish can be toxic but K had to point out that a lethal dose for an adult human could be put on the head of a pin. it seems strange to me but it is a much-in-demand delicacy, because it tastes good but also because, so it seems, the risk enhances the flavor in the mind of the consumer. Strict regulations for restauranteurs and wholesalers have made it much safer than it was (30 steps in its preparation are prescribed by law) but I'm hopeful that K will not be able to find a restaurant in Honolulu that serves it. Or that its price will be outside his budget. Watch him find some little back alley no-name dive that offers it. I'm not exactly flattered. Would you be if your Significant Other wanted you to play Russian roulette with your food?
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?