<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 11, 2004

|
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVELY

Despite my avowed disinterest in "American Idol," it is difficult to sidestep because every time I update myself on the news it seems to be referenced. John Stevens, who sang "My Girl" off-key and forgot the lyrics to "King of the Road," has received the most votes to stay on the show yet an MSNBC Web poll - below - shows him far and away the least popular.

Who should be voted off "American Idol" next? *185368 responses
Fantasia Barrino 4%
Diana DeGarmo 4%
Jennifer Hudson 3%
George Huff 1%
Jon Peter Lewis 22%
LaToya London 1%
John Stevens 61%
Jasmine Trias 3%

How so? Near as I can tell, the MSNBC poll is configured such that a participant can vote only once. But I was led to a website with this quote: "Last night, after American Idol, Lindsey, Even, and I voted for John Stevens, the 16 year-old redhead 300 times. ..." Apparently, this is not uncommon; another woman claimed she voted for Stevens 400 times because she thinks the Idol should be like her son. Fine to have individual tastes but it's sad that the outcome may be determined by people who lead such shallow, empty lives that they spend days and nights stuffing the ballot box.

Night out with Joan was far more raucous and energetic than I am accustomed to but it was fun. I would not say Joan dresses provocatively to go clubbing but a lot less conservatively than I. Yet I don't think I cramped her style - probably because I am 20 years younger than she is and I like to dance. Not that Joan was any slouch - she looks and acts 30-ish. It occurred to me during my third drink that I could not imagine K in a noisy, neon nightclub though in the cold light of day, I would not hold it against him. Maybe I appreciate his quiet compatibility even more.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?