<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

|
Candeee asked if I had any favorite pieces in the Japan and Paris art exhibit K and I attended. I guess the most honest response I could make is that all of it was overwhelming to me. My background in the subject, such that it is, consists of an intro course on History of Western Art in college. I was sufficiently inspired from that to get my mom, on a subsequent birthday, framed prints of works by Van Gogh, Monet, and Renoir but I believe most people who have even a vague appreciation of art are attracted to impressionists and post-impressionists. This art drew the attention of collectors and artists in Japan and the exhibit shows the connection. The influence on what Japanese artists created is striking; I'm sure there are nuances which an expert would quickly recognize to differentiate French from Japanese painters but my eyes could sure not see them. K has remarkable lnowledge about all kinds of Asian art but he was every bit - excuse the pun - as impressed as I was by the similarities.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?