<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

|
GIVE US A SONG...

I have a story to share from the bank instead of the bar this time. I worked at the former today and am off work from the latter tonight.

A little old lady came to my teller window and said that she needed some help. She seemed nervous and excited and asked me to look up the balance in her savings account. While I was doing that, she kept talking nervously, saying that it was her money and she should be able to do what she wanted with it. She also said that she thought it would be better to get a check, safer than handing him cash.

This was starting to concern me a little, because the bank is always warning us that old people are easy targets for scams and we should be alert for signs that they are being taken advantage of, so I'm wondering how to look out for her without being too nosy.

I wrote her balance down and handed it to her, and she said, "Oh, good." Then she handed a note back to me and said, "I need a check for this." On the paper was written $2,187.54, and the name of a music store, with an address and phone number.

At this point, she couldn't contain her excitement any longer, and she said, "I always had a piano my whole life until I moved and I had to sell mine. But they have a small one that I can have in my apartment. I think it's okay to use my savings." My impression was that she was afraid someone would criticize her for spending her savings on a piano, so I told her I thought she should spend her money any way that makes her happy.

The piano is being delivered tomorrow and she is so excited, she can hardly stand it. She invited me to stop by and visit her any time.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?