<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 21, 2004

|
A BOOM WITH A VIEW

An elderly - or should I say upper middle-aged? - man was in the bar last night and asked if I'd ever heard of an Atomic Cocktail. I had, but in the context of an oral radioactive diagnostic concoction. He told me that back in the 1950's, watching atom bombs explode into mushroom clouds in the Nevada desert was a spectator sport in Las Vegas. Some motels advertised a "Great view of the tests." (They failed to warn you to shower afterward and hold your breath until you had gone 50 miles upwind.) I don't doubt there are a number of variations on the atomic cocktail but this gentleman told me a popular version was composed of vodka, brandy, champagne and sherry.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?